"No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine." - - - William Blum

February 24, 2004

I Didn't Even Know I Was Married to a Terrorist


Does THIS mean I have to report my wife to the FBI, since she's a school teacher?

WASHINGTON (AP) - Education Secretary Rod Paige called the nation's largest teachers union a "terrorist organization" during a private White House meeting with governors on Monday. Democratic and Republican governors confirmed Paige's remarks about the National Education Association. "These were the words, 'The NEA is a terrorist organization,'" said Democratic Gov. Jim Doyle of Wisconsin.

Update: Here's one person's response to this issue:

Name: Charles Pierce - Hometown: Newton, MA
...All right, in my time I have seen James Watt forced to resign a cabinet post because he made a tawdry joke about black people. I have seen Joycelyn Elders forced to resign because she talked sense about wanking. I have seen a number of people kept out of Cabinet-level positions because their nannies and gardeners worked off the books.

Yesterday, Rod Paige was reported to have called the National Education Association a "terrorist organization" at a meeting of the nation's governors, and several governors confirmed that he had. I have one question: Why isn't this enough?

Seriously, the congressional Democrats -- right now, today -- should begin a national campaign to force Paige's resignation. Not only is the guy a theocratic cluck, but he got his job by cooking the books in Houston, and now he's called every public school teacher in the country just about the worst name you can call anybody these days.

No comments: