"No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine." - - - William Blum

September 24, 2003



September 5, 2003

Dear Members of Congress:

My father's name is Staff Sgt. Charles Pollard with the 307th Military Police Reservist Company out of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He is a 22-year veteran and has been serving his country in Iraq for almost a year now. Ever since he went over there, I live in fear for his life. He writes to me every chance he gets and we try to send letters to him once or twice a week. I understand when he enlisted there would be a chance that he would have to go to war. He's done that and President Bush has called an end to the war in Iraq some months ago. When the tragedy of 9-11 happened I was scared, but I am more afraid now than ever. I am afraid that my dad will not come home on his own two feet but in a body bag. I'm afraid that he will not live to see me grow up, see me graduate from middle school, high school, and college and see my dreams and his hopes for me come to pass.

Allow me to tell you a little about our relationship. When I'm with my dad, he makes me laugh. We talk about what I want to be when I grow up. He gives me advise about boys and life. We talk about what we want to do and we spend a lot of time together just enjoying each other's company. He's a loving and caring father that is very attentive to my needs. What makes him unique to me is that, he is interested in every part of my life. I prayed that he would get a closer relationship with God and a few months before he was called to active duty he began to go to church more and got baptized. I was so proud of him. We need each other for strength and support as we learn the Word of God.

Since the beginning of the war President Bush has told the American people that Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. He sent inspectors to investigate but they came up with nothing. President Bush stated that Iraq had links with terrorists like those who bombed the World Trade Center. But no proof has been found. President Bush had Americans afraid that we would have to protect ourselves from chemical warfare. My mom bought first aid kits and flashlights. She planned and drilled with us escapes routes and safe spots in our home. But, no chemical warfare. President Bush stated that Saddam Hussein lied about these weapons, but now that my dad, and other children's dads, moms, brothers, sisters, sons and daughters have died, were injured, and are over in Iraq, we find out that President Bush didn't tell the truth during his State of the Union Address and on other occasions as well. What this is telling me is that my dad may lose his life for a lie.

Many other children like myself, across our great nation, want their parents and family members home. When our forefathers developed this nation they stated that all people had a right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I feel that my right to pursue happiness has been taken away from me, because having my dad in my life and with me brings me happiness. Please send our troops home to their families so they can be happy.

Sincerely, Robin Tamara Ponton, Age 13

No comments: