"No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine." - - - William Blum

March 20, 2007

I now have over 85,000 miles on my 2002 Prius. I was curious about how much I've saved in gasoline so far, compared to a vehicle that gets 10 mpg (e.g. Escalade, Hummer, etc.) and one that gets 25 mpg (typical economical family sedan). I think the results speak for themselves:


I live in So. California, where gas is running around 10-20 cents per gallon higher than elsewhere in the U.S. Also, I assumed an average of $2.50 per gallon of regular over the past 5 years, which is probably a little conservative.

Other than very routine (and inexpensive) maintenance costs (oil change, air filters, etc.), the only other costs I've incurred are new tires and new windshield wipers, and an occasional car wash. Oh, and $8 for the DMV's carpool lane sticker.

I really do average 50 mpg because I use reasonable, economically sound driving techniques that maximize the special hybrid features of regenerative braking and deceleration.

No comments: