"No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine." - - - William Blum

August 12, 2006

Reader Phil L. sent this note to me about another example of the abuses he's encountered with the Bush-war Veterans Administration:

If We Close Our Eyes, It's Not Really Happening!

While I was at the VA hospital for my simple knee problem, I encountered a young man in his early 30's. He looked far older but I did not pry. As we sat waiting, from his squirming I could tell he was obviously in pain and very uncomfortable.

He volunteered personal information that I found alarming. He stated, "I just had a liver biopsy. They stuck me with this needle about a foot long between my ribs. Now they tell me my kidneys are failing and from the bleeding that I've been having it feels like my rectum is falling out of my ass."

He stated, "I think it has to do with the depleted uranium I encountered when I was in Iraq. We were always inspecting, investigating, and checking out places that had just been bombed out. We would even bivouac at these bombed out sites. I was with the 10th Special Forces."

10th Special Forces is headquartered at Ft. Carson, CO. I used to work at Ft. Carson and lived in Co. Springs for 15 years. Besides being a brother in arms, he was from my former hometown.

I kind of freaked out when he told me he was only getting 30% service-connected VA disability. I went into detail about my trials and tribulations with the VA (that's another story) and told him to apply for a higher rating right away. He said he was putting it off so he could possibly go back into the Army because he was having a tough time making on the outside!

My hat is off to you troop, please get better! I wish that your problems were an isolated incident. Unfortunately, this article from VA Watchdog dot org, proves that this is not the case but... "The Department of Defense says depleted uranium is powerful and safe, and not that worrisome."

I feel a lot better for our troops now! If the DOD says so, it must be true!
Please, Iraqi Veterans, file your health claims now, don't delay!

Phil L.

No comments: