"No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine." - - - William Blum

June 06, 2005

Obama: Yo' Mama!


Someone left a comment on Body and Soul regarding a letter he/she sent to Senator Barack Obama asking him to support congressional inquiry into the U.S. torture gulags at Gitmo, Abu Graib, etc. The comment included Obama's response:

Dear Kingsley:

Thank you for your email regarding the article the blog you read that asserted that the CIA has made a practice of abduction and torture around the world. I appreciate your sharing with me your thoughts and concerns on this matter. Also, I apologize for my late reply. I'm afraid it has taken me much longer than I anticipated to catch up on the nearly four month backlog of correspondence I inherited whern I was sworn into office in January.

I had a chance to take a look at the article you read in "Body and Soul." Since the 9/11 terrorist attacks and the advent of new security efforts at home and abroad, many citizens such as yourself have become highly suspect of our nation's intelligence operations. Much of this, I believe, is a reaction to the very unfortunate and disturbing stories we have heard coming out of the war in Iraq, Guantanomo Bay and other areas regarding the torture of detainees and other questionable interrogation tactics. The truth, however, is that torture and other such practices are not condoned by the United States. The case of the Abu Ghraib prison scandal, in which the soldiers found guilty of torture were sentenced to signficant and wholly appropriate prison terms, illustrates that the United States is committed to rooting out such behavior. Those prison sentences were deserved, and it is my hope that they serve as reflections of this country's resolve to end such behavior. Again, Kingsley, thank you for your email. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future on this or any issue of concern to you.

Sincerely,
Barack Obama
United States Senator

So much for Obama being the next great hope for the Democrats. Looks like he's now drinking from the same Kool-Aid as most of Washington D.C. He should find out what Senator Boxer drinks.

No comments: