"No matter how paranoid or conspiracy-minded you are, what the government is actually doing is worse than you imagine." - - - William Blum

May 18, 2005

Boxer Says Withdraw


I received this (form) letter from Senator Barbara Boxer today:

May 18, 2005

Mr. Mike XXXXX
Anycity, California

Dear Mr. XXXXX:

Thank you for contacting me about the war in Iraq. I appreciate hearing from you.

I recently traveled to Iraq and would like to share my thoughts with you regarding my experiences. Meeting with our nation’s brave service men and women was truly inspiring. I admire and appreciate their courage, skill, and devotion to duty. In order to best support our troops in Iraq and Afghanistan, I voted for the 2005 Emergency Supplemental Appropriations bill to get them the equipment and support they need.

However, my trip to Iraq confirmed my view that the United States must set a timetable to withdraw our forces. I agree with retired Marine Corps General Gregory Newbold, one of the prime planners of the war in Iraq, who proposes that we set a goal for withdrawal. I believe our long-term presence in Iraq is becoming counterproductive.

Many Iraqis have come to view us as permanent occupiers, intensifying the cycle of hatred and anger that is attracting terrorists to the area and making our troops a primary target. In addition, the Iraqi people must take over their own security. Please know that for as long as our troops remain in harm’s way, I will continue to push for an international effort to reduce the hardship on our troops while increasing the pace of training Iraqi Security Forces.

Once again, thank you for your letter and for caring deeply about this critical matter.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

It's comforting to know that she has the mindset to get our troops out of that hellhole.

No comments: